Trees/Pine Tree Damage or Disease?

Question
Pine Tree Damage or Disease?
Pine Tree Damage or Di  
I believe this is a Loblolly or Longleaf Pine Tree in (East) Columbia, SC. My father-in-law sent me a picture of what seems to be yellow powder within missing bark at the base of his pine tree. I think it may be from damage from a lawnmower and the tree is trying to "heal" itself. But I'm not sure otherwise. I cannot find anything on the internet about this particular problem.
Here's the picture he sent me. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Answer
This is a disease called Fusiform Rust. In the spring the fungi puts out orange spores and these will land on an oak tree leaf and make spores that will come back to a pine needle. It is not a problem on large pines. It can kill small seedling but it will not be a problem here. The orange will go away soon and all you will see is a slight swelling. Also no problem for oaks at all. You do not need to do anything tree will be fine.  

Trees

Jim Hyland