Trees/Saving a Mulberry Tree

Hi Jim,

My name is Patricia and I made the mistake of pollarding my Mulberry tree.  I don't know exactly how old it is, but it's older than 10 years.  I asked the landscaper to pollard it because it's been growing into my power lines at a really fast rate.  I thought that if we did that, I wouldn't have to prune for two years instead of annually.  Is there any way that I can encourage it to grow back or to save it?

Thank you!

Best regards,

it will depend on how much was cut off. If there is only a main stem left chances are it may not make it. If there are branches it should leaf out. I would water it with 1 inch of water every third day until you see leaves. Place a pan under the tree and turn the sprinkler on and when the pan has 1 inch of water in it stop. For your future use here is information on tree topping.

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator