Trees/Saving a Mulberry Tree

Question
Hi Jim,

My name is Patricia and I made the mistake of pollarding my Mulberry tree.  I don't know exactly how old it is, but it's older than 10 years.  I asked the landscaper to pollard it because it's been growing into my power lines at a really fast rate.  I thought that if we did that, I wouldn't have to prune for two years instead of annually.  Is there any way that I can encourage it to grow back or to save it?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Patricia

Answer
it will depend on how much was cut off. If there is only a main stem left chances are it may not make it. If there are branches it should leaf out. I would water it with 1 inch of water every third day until you see leaves. Place a pan under the tree and turn the sprinkler on and when the pan has 1 inch of water in it stop. For your future use here is information on tree topping. http://www.plantamnesty.org/stoptopping/5reasons.aspx

Trees

Jim Hyland