Trees/crepe myrtle disease

My crepe myrtles are 13 years old. A white powdery substance has been falling to the ground. There does not appear to be any aphids or powdery mildew on the tree. Now there are what looks like white worms coming out of the trunk horizontally. They do not move so I'm guessing they are not worms. How should this be treated and will it affect the plants around the trees?

Sounds like an insect called borers. What you see sticking out of the trunk is frass from the boring. Spray the trunk and other boring evidence with an insecticide called Merit. It is also known as Bayer advantage insecticide. Spray the trunk now and watch for new signs and if necessary re spray. This will kill the borer in the trunk.

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator