Trees/River Birch root systems

We had to remove two maples due to strangling roots.  We replaced them with a river birch that has grow into a beautiful tree.  We've noticed several smaller roots growing off the main truck of this tree.  Are these trees known to develop strangling roots?

Only if they are potted can they develop strangling roots. The small roots are normal. Unless the soil is heavy clay and the hole was dug too small the roots will be ok. Sometimes when a hole is dug in heavy clay soil the sides of the hole are smooth and it makes a pot in the ground. The roots can not penetrate the sides of the hole and water will collect in the "pot". The roots will grow in a circle and the be drowned by the water trapped. This is more than likely NOT the case here. Sounds normal to me.

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator