Trees/Curly Willow Tree

Question
I have a small curly willow tree that I have grown from a sprout.  I live in the middle piedmont of North Carolina.  Can I plant this tree outside and what time of year do I plant?  It's about 4 ft. tall now in the pot.

Answer
I would wait until the native hardwoods have dropped their leaves. This will mean the hardwood trees are dormant. I would then plant the willow out side. The hole should be dig twice the diameter of the pot and as deep. Fill with good top soil or potting soil and mulch around the tree with not more than 3 inch deep of mulch (pine straw is a good mulch). Spread mulch out to about tow feet out around the tree. The mulch will help hold moisture around the root system. Water good after the tree is planted and I would water IF it does not rain for a week or so only about every ten days. Do not fertilize the tree for a year,this will give the roots time to grow and not be damaged by the fertilizer.  

Trees

Jim Hyland