Trees/Cherry Tree - can this be saved

Cherry tree oozing
Cherry tree oozing  

Bark Peeling
Bark Peeling  
We live on Long Island, Nassau County, NY.  Our cherry tree is in full bloom and is quite pretty but the bark is peeling on the trunk on both sides and it has been oozing which has solidified. Can this tree be saved or should we think about taking it out after it blooms?  Thank you.

Lynn Maier

Sounds like an insect called a borer. I would cut the loose bark off the wound and spray with  an insecticide called Merit. Check with your local nursery for this product. Borers attack trees under stress so I would fertilize the tree with 10-10-10 fertilizer at the rate of 1 lb of fertilizer per inch of trunk diameter scattered around the tree and watered in good. Apply the fertilizer just before a rain event and you will not need to water. Fertilize now and again in the Fall. If you have good foliage the tree is not dying and should be OK.  

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator