Trees/Chinese Pistache Trees

Question
QUESTION: We have two Chinese Pistache trees growing in the front of our home.  One tree is almost in full foilage, the other is barely started getting leaves on it.  Why is this?  Is one a male and one a female?  If so, which is which?  Thank you.

ANSWER: First check and see if the tree is still alive--start near the end of an upper outer branch and scrap a small bit of bark off the branch and if the color under the bark is green the branch is still alive. If the color under the bark is brown the branch is dead at this point on the branch--if brown continue down the branch scraping at intervals until you fine green or reach the main trunk. Try other branches if you do not find green. IF none is found the tree is dead. I would think you will find green and the tree is still alive. Sometimes there are genetic differences in the same species of tree and the budding out is a little different. I would wait and see if the color under the bark is green.

QUESTION: Yes, the tree is still alive and well, leaves are coming out, but certainly not like the other one.  Are there male and female trees and could that be the difference?

Answer
This species of tree does have a separate male and female. There is not much difference in the early growth. The difference is in the flowers.. It takes both male and female trees (pollen) to have fruit. I can not find that there would be any difference in the budding out. Still think it is genetic and both being a varity of the species.  

Trees

Jim Hyland