Trees/Coral Bark Japanese Maple

Question
Other name: Acer palmatum 'sango kaku'.I was given this tree for my birthday last year (the downfall is I have to plant it myself as not included in gift). There are four 1" round trunks coming up from roots, and quite a few smaller ones. My son really loves it too and now has his own yard. I am wondering if it is possible to split my tree to give him part of it for his yard. I know I could find him another one, but as a symbolic thing I would like to give him part of this if I can.

Answer
I am sorry  I do not think you will be able to separate the root system. If the individual stems have their own root system then they could be separated. But if they have a common root system if they are cut apart then the tree would more than likely not survive. I do not think that is what you wanted to hear. You can try one of the outside stems and see if it will survive, that way the main tree will not be damaged. Good luck.  

Trees

Jim Hyland