Trees/Leyland Spruce

Jim -  I live in SE Pennsylvania and I have 3 5-6 year old Leylands.  Last winter was brutal in my part of the
"South" and my Leylands look awful.  How hearty are these trees, they are pretty brown, and I'm really worried about their survival?

Leyland Cypress is not a good choice for your area. At best it is on the very edge of the cold hardiness range. When trees are moved out of or near their growing ranges they will be effected by the cold and also have more disease problems. Leyland Cypress has a problem with a canker disease that even herein the deep South has in some cases devastated the species. I try not to recommend Leyland Cypress due to the disease problems.  Remove and plant Arborvitae Green Giant - if you want a continuous row of the same plant,

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator