Trees/Leyland Spruce

Question
Jim -  I live in SE Pennsylvania and I have 3 5-6 year old Leylands.  Last winter was brutal in my part of the
"South" and my Leylands look awful.  How hearty are these trees, they are pretty brown, and I'm really worried about their survival?

Thanks

Answer
Leyland Cypress is not a good choice for your area. At best it is on the very edge of the cold hardiness range. When trees are moved out of or near their growing ranges they will be effected by the cold and also have more disease problems. Leyland Cypress has a problem with a canker disease that even herein the deep South has in some cases devastated the species. I try not to recommend Leyland Cypress due to the disease problems.  Remove and plant Arborvitae Green Giant - if you want a continuous row of the same plant,

Trees

Jim Hyland