Trees/Loblolly Pine

I have planted quite a few pines after a wild fire come through here in Bastrop, Texas. I have 2 out front about 8' tall that don't seem to be doing well. I believe they have received too much water (trees were planted 2 years ago). I dug down about 8" and used a moister meter to probe down another 6 to 8' and the meter indicates wet. My question is, will digging perk holes about 8 to 10" around the tree help dry it out ( keeping in mind I would cover in the event of rain and watering, or am I just wasting time here?

Thank you,

A little confused But here is what I understand. You plant pines 2 years ago and they are now 8 feet tall and tow are not looing good. Not sure how tall they were at planting but assuming about 3 feet an 8 foot tree now is doing well. I would do nothing about the wetness--just do not water or use a sprinkler system on them. Loblolly pine will grow in dry areas as well as in swampy areas. So if the foliage is green the tree is ok. If I assume wrong please attach a picture to the question and this may help.

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator