Trees/tree stump weeping and stinks!

Question
We had to have two 30+ foot trees removed three months ago as they were causing damage to our house, driveway and garage.  I believe they were sugar or Norwegian maples.  The stumps (about 30-36") are about 6 inches from our house and they are weeping a white, slimy "pus" that smells absolutely horrible and attracts flies.  We tried to use a sealant which helped for about 3 days, then the liquid just came back and it is such a stink.  We were hoping to wait until next year to removed the stumps when we have all the concrete from the driveway removed and the garage demolished.    Please help with a solution until then.  It really is gross.

Answer
Trees especially maples in the winter store food and minerals in the roots and when spring arrives this is pumped up into the buds causing the leaves to bud out and grow. This sap is what you are seeing. Really not anything that can be done to stop the flow. But the good news is it will stop as the summer months come on. The roots do not know there is no foliage so the pumping of the sap will continue until the supply is exhausted. I would cover it with sand and this will decease the smell and wetness. But it will stop as hotter weather continues.  

Trees

Jim Hyland