Can I put lye down under my deck to stop vegetation from growing

Not a good idea. If an animal or a kids should walk through this area their feet could be burned by the lye. A good herbicide would be Roundup. This will kill any green plant. An more organic weed killer is Vinegar. You will need one has a 20% acid (the normal vinegar has about 5 %). The higher % is used in canning. Just spray the weeds with the straight vinegar and they will usually die. Some of the more waxy leaf weeds you may need to add a little liquid dish  soap to the mixture. If you can get under the deck you can put down thicker Plastic and cover with gravel and this will prevent weeds from growing. I hope this helps.

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator