Trees/Norfolk Island Pine

Question
Hi Jim, I have a 60 ft. Norfolk Island Pine that has shed hundreds of seeds; can you tell me the proper method of propagating them?...thank you!...Nick

Answer
Here is the instructions for growing Norfolk pine from seed.

Lay Norfolk pine tree seeds flat on moist potting compost. Do not cover the seeds but mist regularly to keep the surface of the compost wet until the seeds germinate. Germination of fresh seed takes between 10 and 15 days.

Water your Norfolk pine seedlings often enough to keep the compost evenly moist. Discard any seedlings that are completely white in color.

Transplant your Norfolk pine seedlings into individual pots once they become top heavy and start to lean over. Plant in a substrate mixture consisting of three parts peat to one part sand.

Re-pot your Norfolk pine every two or three years. A Norfolk pine in a 6-inch pot will grow to 2 feet in height while in an 8-inch pot it will grow to 3 feet.

All the seed will not germinate I would expect about 20-50 % germination. But you should have plenty of seedling.

Trees

Jim Hyland