Trees/mushrooms from maple roots

I have a maple tree that might be dieing and im hoping it can be saved.
about 3 years ago a few branches broke off in a storm. I did not repair them properly.
Last fall I noticed some of the branches where missing leaves. soon after I noticed mushroom poping up in my lawn. i watered the tree thinking it was lacking water. after a long cold winter. I was hopeing it would rebound this spring. The branches started to bud on the whole tree in early spring. by late spring, about 1/3 of the leaves where on the ground.
Is there somethig i can do to save this tree?
it was a mature tree when I moved in 10 years ago and the broken limbs where taken care of as of recent

Sounds like a root rot disease There is little that can be done. I would try fertilizing the tree with 10-10-10 fertilizer at the rate of 1 lb per inch of trunk diameter scattered around the tree and watered in good, Apply the fertilizer just be before a rain storm and you will not need to water. This will help increase the root growth and health of the tree. Make sure you do not use a product for lawns called Weed and Feed it contains a herbicide that will kill trees. There is no fungicide that can be applied to the root system that would be effective. Fertilize now and again in the early spring and hope for the best. Sorry I could not give you a better report.

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator