Trees/Maple Tree Roots

We have two young Autumn Blaze maple trees on either side of our entrance in large mulched beds that include daylilys, black-eyed susans, and junipers. The beds are automatically irrigated by drip lines under the mulch.

I am concerned that with all that surface water available, the maple tree roots will stay on the surface of the soil under the mulch and will not dig in. Then, when they get larger, they won't be well grounded (pun intended) and could be knocked over by the next big wind that comes along. Should I be concerned?

Autumn Blaze's roots are infamously shallow and extensive, often spreading beyond the drip line. The ground close to the trunk may seem choked with roots. The many-branched, fibrous roots allow the tree to quench its intense thirst. But this root system is well "grounded" and you will have not problem with the tree toppling over in wind. I would not be concerned about this at all.  

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator