Trees/new river birch trees

QUESTION: Dear Jim- We have five river birch trees that we had planted in our yard last fall. The location seems perfect as it is a low spot that rain slopes down to.
I have noticed that other river birch trees in the area have begun to get leaves but the buds on our trees are not even green yet. {it is April 25th} Is this because these are recently transplanted trees and that they may be a little "slower"? Any input is appreciated !

ANSWER: I think you are correct. I would give them more time and IF they do not leaf out by mid or late May there maybe some concern.

QUESTION: Do these trees need more water than they normally would given the fact that they are new ?

I would water if it doe not rain with 1 inch of water per week. Place a pan under the tree and turn the sprinkler on and when the pan has 1 inch of water in it stop. Do not fertilize the tree until the Fall. Then use 10-10-10 fertilizer at the rate of 1 lb. per inch of trunk diameter.  

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator