Trees/Weeping Willow Transplanting.

Question
My neighbour dug out 2 small weeping willows about 4 foot high 2.5" thickness of trunk,not wanting to see anything living die,l took them on and l planted them but they don't seemed to have done anything for 18 months, do they lie dormant for 2 years,l did prune the branches back to be able to handle them through yard door,l was thinking give them another year,their was an apple tree and pear tree as well these 2 are thriving and are in flower and leaf,any help would be helpful.

Answer
Sounds like the willow is dead sorry. You can check by scraping a little of the bark off a branch and if the color under the bark is brown the branch is dead. I would start near the top and scrap a little off and come down the tree until you find green under the bark IF you do not fine any green the tree is dead. IF you do find green cut the dead part of and see if the tree will leaf out. BUT since there has not been any leaves in a year the tree I would say is dead. Sorry.  

Trees

Jim Hyland