Trees/Killing weeds with a tree near by

IF I pour boiling water on a tree will it kill it?

Depends on the size of the tree and its roots. A small less than 3 foot tree would more than likely be killed by the boiling water depending on the amount of water that is used. But in general I doubt that boiling water poured on the roots of a tree will kill it unless you used a great deal of water. If you want to kill the weeds near a tree try vinegar or a herbicide called Roundup. Vinegar alone - Full strength, undiluted 18 percent acidity vinegar can be an effective weed killer.

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator