Trees/Is my tree dead

new growth
new growth  

I moved into a home 7 years ago and this tree was here.  I think it is an American Chestnut.  I would find a few of the prickly pods in the spring.
In the past it looked to be doing well but this spring it did not leaf.  The trunk has many long splits in it.
Just in the past month new shoots have sprouted from various places on the tree.
Is there anything that can be done to save the tree?

Sounds like Chestnut blight. the tree looks like it is dead. You could cut the dead parts off and see if it can recover but with chestnut blight there is little hope. Sorry! Here is a web link to info about this disease.

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator