Trees/scrub oak sprouts

We have two large live oak trees in our side yard that are about  80 feet tall.  Around these two trees and in part of our lawn are dozens of scrub oak sprouts.  How can I kill the scrub oak sprouts without damaging the two good oak trees?

For the lawn the mowing will over time stop the sprouts. There are some growth hormones that will stop or slow the growth of these sprouts. One of these is called Sucker-Stopper a ready to use product. You might check with your local nursery/ garden type store for this product. Here is a link to information on Sucker- Stopper. They will not harm the tree. You can get these at your local garden type store or on line. from several sources.  

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator