Trees/Hawthorn tree roots / damage pipes?

Question
Hello,
We are thinking of planting a Hawthorn tree in our front yard but are concerned because we have water and sewer pipes on the side of the yard where we want to plant this tree.  I know there are quite a few varieties of Hawthorns, but in general, can you tell me about their root system.  I know some trees; e.g., willow, birch, etc. are particularly prone to invading sewer lines.  Do you know about the Hawthorn trees when it comes to this?

Answer
The root system is more fibrous but will not cause any problems. Most water pipes and sewer pipes are sealed and Hawthorn roots will not enter these pipes. Make sure you check the height and width of the variety you select. This will give you an idea of the placement so in the future the tree will not become a problem with space.  

Trees

Jim Hyland