Triumph Repair/tachometer non electric connection

Question
Hi Howard, I have a MkIV Spitfire - '71 body on a '76 chassis and a 1500 engine.
So all the innards in the car are '71. I have the non electric tachometer and I was wondering where the other end of the cable goes?

I realise the '71 non electric tachometer is not designed for the 1500 engine but is there any way to connect it via the cable or do I need to purchase an electric tachometer?

Many thanks for your help.

Kevin.

Answer
Hi Kevin,

The earlier Spitfires that had a cable driven tach were driven off of the base of the distributor.

I believe it would be easier to get an electric tach and wire it up as I am not sure you can adapt an old distributor to the 1500 engine. I've never tried it.

Howard

Triumph Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III