Triumph Repair/carburators for spitfire

Question
Would changing out my single carburetor on my 1980 triumph spitfire for a double increase the car's performance?

Answer
Hi Robert,

That alone will boost performance but only a little as many other items control performance.

On any engine's performance, the design of the cam and the compression ratio are the large items. But when they are applied you must open the intake (dual carburetors) and the exhaust (headers) and the fuel needs to be a high octane mainly due to the raised compression ratio and the ignition advance and advance curve too needs to be matched to the new engine design. Larger intake valves and porting are also needed.

Just installing dual carburetors will give you a small amount of performance increase, just don't expect it to turn into a dragster if that is all you do.

Howard

Triumph Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III