Triumph Repair/carburators for spitfire

Would changing out my single carburetor on my 1980 triumph spitfire for a double increase the car's performance?

Hi Robert,

That alone will boost performance but only a little as many other items control performance.

On any engine's performance, the design of the cam and the compression ratio are the large items. But when they are applied you must open the intake (dual carburetors) and the exhaust (headers) and the fuel needs to be a high octane mainly due to the raised compression ratio and the ignition advance and advance curve too needs to be matched to the new engine design. Larger intake valves and porting are also needed.

Just installing dual carburetors will give you a small amount of performance increase, just don't expect it to turn into a dragster if that is all you do.

Triumph Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

Triumph TR-4 up & Spitfire, and Engine theory

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000