Triumph Repair/triumph spitfire shift knob

Question
I have read your answers as to the removal of the shift knob...now let's look for another answer.   I don't think my car has overdrive..just a 4 speed.  It has a wooden knob.  the nut just below it only moves a little, don't know what a gaiter is.  Don't won't to remove shifter, just replace the knob...now how?

Answer
Hi Johnny,

To remove just the shift knob turn the nut that is just under the knob down (clock wise as viewed from above). This is just a lock nut so once you break it away from the knob itself, the knob will unscrew counter clockwise up and off the shift lever. The wood knobs have an aluminum insert in the bottom that is threaded on to the shift lever but the lock nut must be run down a little to allow the knob to be removed.

Howard

Triumph Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III