You are here:

Triumph Repair/triumph spitfire shift knob


I have read your answers as to the removal of the shift let's look for another answer.   I don't think my car has overdrive..just a 4 speed.  It has a wooden knob.  the nut just below it only moves a little, don't know what a gaiter is.  Don't won't to remove shifter, just replace the how?

Hi Johnny,

To remove just the shift knob turn the nut that is just under the knob down (clock wise as viewed from above). This is just a lock nut so once you break it away from the knob itself, the knob will unscrew counter clockwise up and off the shift lever. The wood knobs have an aluminum insert in the bottom that is threaded on to the shift lever but the lock nut must be run down a little to allow the knob to be removed.


Triumph Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Howard M. Fitzcharles III


Triumph TR-4 up & Spitfire, and Engine theory


Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000

©2017 All rights reserved.