Triumph Repair/TR7 viscous clutch

Question
Howard,
have you ever replaced or know how to remove the bearing in the viscous coupling of the TR7, if so how is it done
Ta Robert

Answer
Hi Robert,

Sorry, I have never tried to repair one even though I had many fail. I did find them pretty much useless to start with. As with most cars, a radiator fan is useless above 35 MPH anyway and below 35 MPH is the only time a radiator fan is needed and only needed as per the coolant temperature so an electric fan makes more sense. I have owned several TR-7s and was trained on the TR-7 and worked on many over the years. I can understand using one on a show car that you might want to be original but if it is a car to be used, I always recommend to trash the viscous fan and install any electric fan. I prefer the blow through mounted in front of the radiator.

Howard

Triumph Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III