You are here:

Triumph Repair/1972 triumph spitfire clutch release bearing


Hi Howard, I am replacing the clutch on my 72 triumph spitfire and decided to remove the flywheel to check it over. There is a bushing that seems to be made of brass that fits into the motor where the flywheel attaches. It looks like a piece of brass pipe! It doesn't seem to be worn, however should i put grease in where it fits. It was very dry when i removed it. Thanks again,  Wayne.......

Hi Wayne,

That bushing is the pilot bearing that supports the front of the input shaft and if it is worn you should replace it. The bearing is called "oillite bronze". It is porous and is soaked in grease that has been heated to enter the pores. You should measure the inside diameter and measure the end of the input shaft to see if it is badly worn and replace it if it is loose on the shaft. You don't normally need to lube it as it is self lubing. Do not replace it with just any brass bushing as it must be an "oillite" bushing meant for pilot bearings.


Triumph Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Howard M. Fitzcharles III


Triumph TR-4 up & Spitfire, and Engine theory


Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000

©2017 All rights reserved.