Triumph Repair/spitfire clutch

I've taken out TR6 transmissions before and know they pull out thru the interior.  When I went to do a clutch job on my 65 spitfire and took out the interior, the drive shaft is tight and transmission mount bolts only come out if you lift the engine and transmission up.  How do you get the transmission separated from the engine?  Break the yoke at the u-joint, jack the back of the engine, and pull out the tranny; or maybe pull engine and tranny out thru the front?  There must be an easier way.

Hi John,

To remove the clutch you remove the transmission about the same way as a TR-6 (from inside). You do need to support the engine when you remove the transmission bellhousing from the engine. You do have to remove the starter motor and slave cylinder and any wiring harnes and the driveshaft flange bolts and rear transmission maouting bolts too.

Triumph Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

Triumph TR-4 up & Spitfire, and Engine theory

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000