Triumph Repair/New Battery

Question
I am in the St Cloud MN area and am looking to restore my wife's 1979 Triumph Spitfire. First step is a new battery as it went dead over the long winter dleay and the move from Pennsylvania. What do I need and any thoughts on where to purchase it as I am new to the area.

Thanks

Vince

Answer
Hi Vince,

There is nothing special about the battery in a Spitfire so you can get a replacement at any auto parts store. Be sure to take the old bad battery with you because there is usually a core charge.

You should have or get a volt meter to test the charging system and tools to clean the battery cable ends.

First test the battery across the two posts (12v +) Leave the volt meter on the battery and start the engine and hold the idle at about 1500 RPM and read the voltmeter. It should read from 13.8v to 14.5v (not more nor less) If it reads that, the charging system is ok.

Howard

Triumph Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III