Triumph Repair/1970 type D overdrive unit

I'm in the process of rebuilding a type D overdrive that I bought off e-bay. The unit was in good shape I'm just cleaning it up and replacing seals and bearings. The clutch faces look good but I don't know the extent of wear. Do you by chance know the thickness when new and when they should be replaced.

Hi Tom,

I could not find any specs on the original thickness of the lining. If you can find a supplier of the clutch cone you may get them to measure it for you.

Another option is to use the manual's direction to check the shimming clearance which might lead you to a conclusion on the amount of ware if it is not obvious to look at.

Rebuilt a few many years ago in dealerships but don't remember measuring the lining thickness.

Triumph Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

Triumph TR-4 up & Spitfire, and Engine theory

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000