Triumph Repair/'79 Spit 150 CD carb

Hi Howard,
I am struggling with a car that does not start. compression and spark OK. Noticed plugs were wet when pulled. I am assuming engine is flooding. I have the auto choke but don't know how to check it. Am considering changing over to a manual conversion. Any suggestions I can check?

Hi Steve,

The auto chokes on the Stromberg carburetors were prone to failure and so much that kits were made in the aftermarket to put a manual choke in their place.

To test the unit you can remove the three screws on the outer edge of the coolant unit on the choke unit (don't remove the center bolt in the unit) Pull the coolant unit away from the carburetor body and you will see a small lever sticking out from the choke assembly and that is the control of the choke. You can manually move the lever to open and close the choke to see if that is the problem.

Triumph Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

Triumph TR-4 up & Spitfire, and Engine theory

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000