Triumph Repair/65 mk2 electric fuel pump

How do I wire a electric fuel pump on my 65 mk2 positive ground electrical system? it is a pusher type pump.

Hi George,

The 62 Mk 2 had an electric fuel pump made by SU and it wires up just like the old one. Power wire connects to the end were the plastic cover is and the ground wire connects on the side at the flange of the solenoid.

If you are installing a generic 12v pump from a auto parts store you first need to be sure it is a one and a half PSI to three PSI pump. Many of the aftermarket pumps sold at auto parts stores are 5 to 7 PSI pumps and can not be used on an MG without a pressure regulator.

Also some electric pumps sold at auto parts stores are electric motor type and the polarity may be important so to connect up a one wire pump you would need to insulate the pump body and connect your hot wire to the body of the pump and ground the one wire of the pump.

If it is a two wire pump it will probably not be a problem to connect the hot wire of the pump to ground and the ground wire of the pump to your car hot wire. If the pump is a pulsing type pump like an SU pump it will not matter which way you connect the power and ground because a pulse type pump is an electromagnet and it operates with either polarity.

Let me know,

Triumph Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

Triumph TR-4 up & Spitfire, and Engine theory

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000