Triumph Repair/Spitfire 1500 door gaps

Thanks for that reply. The tightness is at the rear  and yes I have moved the door hinges forward as far as possible. The car has had half a sill welded in on the driver's. There is also a piece of angle iron about 5 inched long welded between the floor and the sill again on the drivers side. The other door is also tight.
Any ideas?

It sounds like who ever did the metal work didn't aligh the door to get a position of everything befoe welding things together. Even theough the door skin is wraped in that area (as I remember) a good body man can shave the edge of the door to match the body.

If I remember correctly the door hinges securing bolts screw into a plate in a pocket in the "A" piller and it would be a lot of work to make that anchor plate slide further forward. I think it would me easier to have a good body man look at both options. But my guess is that he would suggest just shaving the edge of the door to correct it. If you still have the factory paint it will be easy for him to spot paint it after.

Triumph Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

Triumph TR-4 up & Spitfire, and Engine theory

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000