Triumph Repair/brakes/carb

Question
applying brakes i hear a sound like an air leak then white smoke in abundance comes out of the exhaust. I have a 1973 TR6

Answer
Hi Douglas,

That sounds like a leaking master cylinder into a vacuum brake booster. The white smoke is most likely brake fluid and you should note loss of brake fluid too.

When master cylinder seals go bad, the fluid can leak into the vacuum booster and then the manifold vacuum draws the fluid into the combustion chambers and burns it, thus the white smoke. The two sources of white smoke out the exhaust are coolant and brake fluid. Yours is most likely brake fluid. The noise you hear when stepping on the brakes is air and brake fluid entering the vacuum of the intake manifold.

You should fix the brake master cylinder and that has probably damaged the brake booster too.

Let me know,

Howard  

Triumph Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III