Tropical Plants/Cabbage Palm

My cabbage palm (15") has very small green plants and moss growing inbetween the spaces on the trunk. I would like the trunk to be without them. Can I spray them with weed killer and NOT hurt the tree. Perhaps theirs another way ? Picking them off is not practical.   thanks

Hi Ernie and/or Debbie,,I would not recommend spraying a herbicide on them, it could stress the Palm and the moss/plants would still be there,,,just brown instead of green; I usually use my grass trimmer and carefully buzz them off with no harm to the Palm, albeit I wouldn't recommend it with a smooth surface Palm , such as a Queen or Royal, but a Cabbage is a tough old cur and its surface is pretty tough. I have a Pineapple Palm that I do this all the time with. Nick

Tropical Plants

Nick McCann

broad spectrum knowledge in the field of tropical plants;

I am a certified Master Gardner in Florida (8years)

Master Gardner Association of Charlotte County Florida

Master Gardner training....accredited each year with required seminars and educational training.