Truck Repair/fuel in oil - Cummins engine NTA 855

Question
Hi Jeff!

The engine serial number is:
41082520.

Regards,Jan.

Answer
Looked up in cummins quickserve and they don't have anything on your particular engine. In my response before I would hand turn the engine after you make the adjustment to make sure nothing binds up. I think my biggest concern is the metal coming off that cam is going to cause a lot of wear in your bearings so if I had to do it I would get the new cam as soon as I could to not cause more damage in other areas of the engine. When you get it running with the new setting I think I would use a temp gun on the manifold where it exits the head that will give you a good indication if everything is firing ok your temps across all cylinders should be pretty close. Have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Was mulling this over some tonight are you sure the injector itself is not bad. I'm thinking that if the cam is worn that's not allowing the plunger in the injector to go down enough to allow all the fuel to exit the injector. so if my logic is right that would mean that your injector is continuously leaking into the cylinder. Wont fix your cam problem but would fix fuel leaking into the cylinder. Probably the best way to check is unhook the injector on each cylinder one at a time to see if the sound changes.

Truck Repair

Jeff Drumm