Truck Repair/detroit series 60 trouble starting

Question
I have a detroit series 60 500 horsepower. I'm having a hard time getting it to start once it sits for awhile.  At first, it starts fine, then cuts off. I have to hold the starter button in, but it takes awhile to start and when it does there is alot of smoke from the exhaust pipe. I think it's losing prime? How can I fix this or do you think it's something else? How do you prime the engine?

Answer
Theres no way to prime a 60 series without pulling the pump off and running the gear on a drill. All my experiences has led me to the restricted fitting on the return line out of the head replace that and it should fix your problem. you will need a restricted fitting and a check valve. Just to make sure would put a filter wrench on your fuel filters to make sure they are tight.

Truck Repair

Jeff Drumm