Truck Repair/trans noise

i have a 2007 freightliner century with a meritor transmission. when i am in 10th gear and pulling a load, a grinding type sound can be heard coming threw the gear shift stick. if i move the stick to the right the sound goes away. if i let it go the sound comes back. is this a sign or symptom of something? if so what can i do about it? 10th gear is my highest, and the heavier the load,the louder the noise.

The easier place to start would be check the ride height of the truck if its off it will cause what sounds like a grinding noise in the transmission. then I would check all my ujoints and slip yokes and carrier bearing to make sure none of those are bad. if that still doesn't solve it your looking at the transmission. could be excessive gear noise could be wear in the parts causing a shift fork to rub on the gear. But would check those other things first before getting into pulling the transmission.

Truck Repair

Jeff Drumm

I Can answer any question pertaining to semi trucks and trailers. Have no experience in the automotive field so not able to help in that area.

My experiences in Semi Trucks is. I own my own truck and i presntly maintain a 80 truck fleet. Can handle any questions pertaining to a truck have tore apart and rebuilt every aspect on them. Fleet I deal with is Mainly Volvo trucks and a handful of freightliners. Work on automated transmissions on a daily basis along with carrier apu's. With engines my specialty is the 60 series Detroit but do work on the cummins isx the n-14 and the ism. and also the Volvo engines.

Have a College Degree from university of northwestern ohio in diesel and agriculture mechanics. Have 10 years behind the wheel driving a truck and 4 years working on trucks full time. Also have grown up on a farm so have been tinkering on trucks and tractors all my life.

I've gone through online schooling and have received certificates from webb wheel, Timken and Volvo academy.