Truck Repair/99' freightliner/ Cummins ISM

Question
QUESTION: serial#1fupcmeb3xp974234, where is the hash mark and how do you set the timing to calibrate the valves and injectors,also truck burns a lot of oil and it's not in the turbo.

ANSWER: you will have a raised line on the timing cover that you line up with above the accessory drive pulley. and the accessory drive pulley is where your other marks are there should be 4 of them A,B,C and 1-6. abc will be what you line up for your adjustments. if you can give me the serial number on the engine i can look up the specs and setting procedures for you.

QUESTION: thanks for the info. my other ?. what could cause a lot of oil consumption on engine.it uses around 19ltrs. every 200 miles and smokes alot.

Answer
I apologize i had that on my mind to answer while i was answering the other question and it slipped my mind. If the turbo is not causing it there is only 3 other options thats it's getting into the coolant normally from a bad oil cooler. You would tell that by a layer of oil on top of the coolant in the reservoir. Your rings are bad and its getting past the piston and blowing out the exhaust. Final one is you have bad valve guides and its leaking past and going out the exhaust and or intake. Best way to check that out is too pull off the exhaust mainfold and intake manifold and see if the ports are covered in oil.

Truck Repair

Jeff Drumm