Truck Repair/ignition damaged when attempted to steal

Question
Our pickup a 1992 Silverado, was damaged when someone tried to hotwire it and steal it. We found the ignition switch damaged so that one can not even insert the key. It is plugged with metal stuff and the places for your thumb and index finger are gone. It has some sort of marks around the key area, making us think they had something round they thought could pull or turn the ignition switch out. How do we get the ignition switch out now since they damaged it? And what procedure do you use to replace it? Thank you!

Answer
i work on semis not familiar with pickups but they are all about the same. remove the covering around your column and on the back side of your ignition switch should be a clip remove that and it should all slide out. then you just replace the whole thing that will most likely be a dealer only item. reinstall in the same manner slide down in put in the clip and try it out before putting the column cover in place.

Truck Repair

Jeff Drumm