Truck Repair/98, FL-70 8.3L ISC 215 cummins Start/idle issues

Very rough start (if at all possible). When it does start, throttle response lasts for 30 seconds then cuts out. Idle is extremely rough with plumes of white smoke (not a coolant leak) and sounding like it is not firing on all cylinders.
When it actually starts, the yellow check engine light ON and red stop engine light ON. (After being informed of the issue, I started it up to do a general once over on it, didn't let it run for very long).
I read up on the blink codes and came up with a 111 (ECM Fault). Does this mean that the ECM is shot? Hopefully you can think of something else I could check before I have to get chummy with my purchasing department.

Code 111 says that it's a coolant level sensor. The white smoke says your dumping raw fuel in the exhaust which could be either injector out, low compression or timing is off. If at all possible to get it to run a little longer to see if the smoke goes away if the coolant sensor is a two wire sensor you can take and unplug it and jump across the the plug on the harness with a paper clip that will keep it from wanting to shut down. I doubt you have a timing issue unless you've had recent work that's all gear to gear and it won't jump time unless a tooth is broken which I doubt. So that narrows it down to either injectors are bad or low compression. If you can get it to run for about 10 minutes and see if it smoothes out, if it does you could have a issue with losing prime.

Truck Repair

Jeff Drumm

I Can answer any question pertaining to semi trucks and trailers. Have no experience in the automotive field so not able to help in that area.

My experiences in Semi Trucks is. I own my own truck and i presntly maintain a 80 truck fleet. Can handle any questions pertaining to a truck have tore apart and rebuilt every aspect on them. Fleet I deal with is Mainly Volvo trucks and a handful of freightliners. Work on automated transmissions on a daily basis along with carrier apu's. With engines my specialty is the 60 series Detroit but do work on the cummins isx the n-14 and the ism. and also the Volvo engines.

Have a College Degree from university of northwestern ohio in diesel and agriculture mechanics. Have 10 years behind the wheel driving a truck and 4 years working on trucks full time. Also have grown up on a farm so have been tinkering on trucks and tractors all my life.

I've gone through online schooling and have received certificates from webb wheel, Timken and Volvo academy.