Truck Repair/Detroit Diesel engine starting

I have a Detroit Diesel engine in a motorhome that was converted from a bus. It has been sitting for over 2 years & I am going to attempt to get it running. Because the fuel has been there so long, is there any chance I will screw up the injectors trying to start it with this fuel? I have replaced the fuel filters, but have heard that the old fuel could damage the injectors. Should I drain the fuel or use an additive or? I'm not as familiar with diesel engines as I would like and I'm afraid of damaging the engine.

You won't screw up the injectors but more then likely there is water and algae in the tank. I would drain it and put in fresh fuel. After doing that I would add a algae eater which has a water remover in it. you can buy that at a local automotive parts store. I would also put fresh filters on.

Truck Repair

Jeff Drumm

I Can answer any question pertaining to semi trucks and trailers. Have no experience in the automotive field so not able to help in that area.

My experiences in Semi Trucks is. I own my own truck and i presntly maintain a 80 truck fleet. Can handle any questions pertaining to a truck have tore apart and rebuilt every aspect on them. Fleet I deal with is Mainly Volvo trucks and a handful of freightliners. Work on automated transmissions on a daily basis along with carrier apu's. With engines my specialty is the 60 series Detroit but do work on the cummins isx the n-14 and the ism. and also the Volvo engines.

Have a College Degree from university of northwestern ohio in diesel and agriculture mechanics. Have 10 years behind the wheel driving a truck and 4 years working on trucks full time. Also have grown up on a farm so have been tinkering on trucks and tractors all my life.

I've gone through online schooling and have received certificates from webb wheel, Timken and Volvo academy.