Truck Repair/Towing Services for Heavy Vehicles

Question
Dear Jeff

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tow_truck
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck

What could be the Design considerations for a Towing service provider which provides Towing services for Disabled Heavy Vehicles viz Trucks, Buses, Lorries etc ?.

Which is relatively a correct method for towing heavy vehicles ?.
Will both the methods work efficiently ?.

1. The disabled heavy vehicle viz Bus, Truck, Lorry etc is pulled by another towing truck ?.

2. The disabled heavy vehicle viz Bus, Truck, Lorry etc is carried on another towing truck similar to a goods train ?. i.e The Disabled Heavy vehicle's weight is on the Towing truck.

What could be the design considerations in terms of engine design for the Towing Truck which provides services for disabled heavy vehicles ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
In America we have a few ways of towing. The way you are going to want to tow might be different based on your location. We have more open areas to navigate so for us to use larger trucks is ok. Never been to India your situations might be different. Our ways of towing is. We use another truck with a arm that can go under the front or rear axles to lift the truck off the ground and pull it. Another way is to use a flatbed Trailer and load the vehicle onto it with a winch and pull it home that way. As for what kind of power you are looking for. I would use something that has the same amount of power as what you use presently what is going to matter is gearing. In the tow vehicle you will want lower gearing to help pull.

Here is a few websites of the type of tow trucks we use here.
https://www.jerrdan.com/equipment
http://www.millerind.com/

Truck Repair

Jeff Drumm