Trucking/Plating a vehicle

Question
Can I take a non DOT regulated vehicle with a GVWR of 10.000 lbs. and plate it 11,000 lbs. to make it a DOT regulated vehicle that would require the drivers to carry and maintain a DOT physical. I am in Indiana but I do conduct interstate commerce. I know some times state and federal DOT regulations are different. Thanks for your help.

Answer
You cannot increase the GVWR of a truck just because you want to.   You are talking frame/ suspension modifications and so advanced inspection by a certified mechanic to do all of this.   I can't imagine why you would WANT to place your vehicle under DOT authority when the 10,000 lb limit exempts you from all of that.

But if you still want to do this, why not get a slightly bigger truck ?   Ford makes a F-350 with a 10,200 GVWR.  You could also pull a small trailer behind your 10,000 lb truck ( 10,000 + 3,000=13,000).  And if the combined GVWR exceeds 10,000, you are a CMV and need everything except a CDL when going interstate.  When you unhook the trailer , you are back to being a non-CMV.

I would want to avoid the hours of service. Logbooks, med cards, DIT number, driver files, vehicle files etc. if I could.

Andy

Trucking

Andy Blair