Trucking/Plating a vehicle

Can I take a non DOT regulated vehicle with a GVWR of 10.000 lbs. and plate it 11,000 lbs. to make it a DOT regulated vehicle that would require the drivers to carry and maintain a DOT physical. I am in Indiana but I do conduct interstate commerce. I know some times state and federal DOT regulations are different. Thanks for your help.

You cannot increase the GVWR of a truck just because you want to.   You are talking frame/ suspension modifications and so advanced inspection by a certified mechanic to do all of this.   I can't imagine why you would WANT to place your vehicle under DOT authority when the 10,000 lb limit exempts you from all of that.

But if you still want to do this, why not get a slightly bigger truck ?   Ford makes a F-350 with a 10,200 GVWR.  You could also pull a small trailer behind your 10,000 lb truck ( 10,000 + 3,000=13,000).  And if the combined GVWR exceeds 10,000, you are a CMV and need everything except a CDL when going interstate.  When you unhook the trailer , you are back to being a non-CMV.

I would want to avoid the hours of service. Logbooks, med cards, DIT number, driver files, vehicle files etc. if I could.

Andy Blair

Commercial Trucking regulations. DOT inspection information. Data Q challenges PA Traffic and Equipment Regulations Out of service criteria.

Police Officer 1986-2011 Weighmaster 1990-2011 DOT Enforcement Certified 1999-2011 Haz-Mat Inspector 2007-2011 Class A CDL Holder CDL Instructor

Fraternal Order of Police ( life member)

American Association of Service Professionals Newsletter

Harrisburg Area Community College 35th Police Academy Community College of the Air Force PA certified 3rd party CDL tester.

A number of trucking / transportation companies in PA and NJ