You are here:

Trucking/Do i need a broker authority


Hello ,
I am a young entrepreneur starting my own trucking company. I have one truck with a trailer and i was wondering do i just need my common carrier authority or do i need my broker authority aswell in order to book my truck for loads using a load board i found online? I was under the impression i just needed my common carrier authority and i can start booking loads? Please help?

Nisi, you only need broker authority in the US if you are arranging transportation for a fee.
In other words you are the middleman between the shipper and the actual carrier.  Common or Contract carrier authority is for carriers with trucks.  I don't know the regulations in Canada.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jim Bowers


Expertise in U.S. Trucking Industry, Solution Development, Pricing issues, Bid process, Negotiations, Costing and Pricing information systems.


30 years. LTL, TL, and Dedicated Pricing programs, Activity Based Costing, Cost modeling.

Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals, Past Board Member, Treasurer, Secretary of Central Florida Roundtable.

BA Marketing, University of South Florida.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]