Trucking/Towing Services for Heavy Vehicles

Dear Andy

What could be the Design considerations for a Towing service provider which provides Towing services for Disabled Heavy Vehicles viz Trucks, Buses, Lorries etc ?.

Which is relatively a correct method for towing heavy vehicles ?.
Will both the methods work efficiently ?.

1. The disabled heavy vehicle viz Bus, Truck, Lorry etc is pulled by another towing truck ?.

2. The disabled heavy vehicle viz Bus, Truck, Lorry etc is carried on another towing truck similar to a goods train ?. i.e The Disabled Heavy vehicle's weight is on the Towing truck.

What could be the design considerations in terms of engine design for the Towing Truck which provides services for disabled heavy vehicles ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

I will give you my best opinion but I am not involved with the towing of disabled vehicles very much.

Flatbed hauling is usually reserved for vehicles that are either not that big or ones that are badly damaged and won't roll.  It is much preferred to tow them ( not just simply push or pull them ) with a heavy duty tow truck.  Multiple axles , large diesel engines and low gearing are would be part of a good tow truck.  They can be made from an existing truck by removing the bed/ body but it is a lot of work to modify something.  A lot of such trucks have what amounts to a sliding crane boom as they need to tug and nudge disabled vehicles into position.   A fixed boom would be less effective.

If you have the ability to view the Weather Channel " Highway Through Hell ". ,  it shows a LOT of heavy duty towing of disabled , damaged and stuck big trucks.  

Andy Blair

Commercial Trucking regulations. DOT inspection information. Data Q challenges PA Traffic and Equipment Regulations Out of service criteria.

Police Officer 1986-2011 Weighmaster 1990-2011 DOT Enforcement Certified 1999-2011 Haz-Mat Inspector 2007-2011 Class A CDL Holder CDL Instructor

Fraternal Order of Police ( life member)

American Association of Service Professionals Newsletter

Harrisburg Area Community College 35th Police Academy Community College of the Air Force PA certified 3rd party CDL tester.

A number of trucking / transportation companies in PA and NJ