Trucking/CDL necessary?

Question
I live in Texas. A CDL is required for anything with a GVWR of 26001 pounds or more. I'm planning on contracting my services moving mostly pipes in a large pick up truck, probably not involving pulling any trailers. I have no idea what the GVWR would be, but I'm guessing it's not likely more than 26001 pounds. Am I wrong? I'm trying to determine if I even need a CDL. Also, if a CDL is necessary, are their place that rent vehicles for that purpose? I appreciate your input.

Answer
Ed;

Without a CDL ,you  can drive a truck up to 26,000 lbs pulling a trailer up to 10,000 lbs.  if you ecceed 26,000 on the truck, you are in Class B territory. If you exceed 10,000 on the trailer ( and the truck and trailer together exceed 26,000 lbs), now you are in class A territory.

There are no loopholes.  An overloaded 26,000 pound truck is also a class B truck even if you didn't intend it to be.

Using a straight truck, the Ford F-650 is your top non- CDL model.  But keep in mind that if you exceed 10,000 pounds while making money , you will also need a DOT medical card as well as a USDOT # and an MC number ( if you are for hire). Yes, you can be a trucking company even while driving non-CDL trucks.

If you exceed 150 miles from home in your non- CDL truck( over 10,000_) you will also need to run a logbook.

There are LOTS of things to consider when getting into the transportation business.  

Trucking

Andy Blair