Trucking/Mobile phone charging in Heavy vehicles.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Andy

Is it possible to charge Mobile phone in Heavy vehicles viz Truck, Bus,Van?.

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: Peasant;

Pretty much all of the U.S./Canadian/ European heavy duty trucks manufactured over the past 35-40 years have done with at least one cigarette lighter in the cab. Initially that was for lighting cigarettes.  But over the past 10 years or so, the usefulness of the lighter has been to provide power for auxiliary electronic devices.  CD players, MP3 players, gps units and of course cell phones.  Many people depend on on their lighter sockets to be able to plug their phone in and charge it while on the road.  I do this all of the time.

There also is the option to put an inverter in a vehicle that conveys 12 volts to 120 volts.  This allows a normal ( for the U.S.) wall charger to be plugged in as well as other light duty 120 volt appliances. I have had the occasion to do both. I mainly use the cigarette lighter plug for the direct 12 volt power. This has worked well for me both in my car and my occasional drive in a big truck.

If a truck doesn't come with a cigarette lighter socket, it can be easily added into an empty spot in the dash.

I hope this helps.

QUESTION: Dear Andy

Thanks.

Is it possible to extend to other locations in the bus I.e passenger seats backside and not necessary driver window front panel location?. I.e Multiple outlets.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Pasha the;

Absolutely.   The wiring can be extended to pretty much anywhere on board.  A lot of the buses in the U.S. have this and some airplanes have either the 12 volt cigarette lighter outlet or a USB outlet which can also be used to charge a phone.  It would be more work to run the wiring but it can be done.  

Trucking

Andy Blair