Trumpet/Holton trumpet circa 1948

El Camino wrote at 2009-12-24 06:24:56
I own a 1939 Holton Model 45 and I prefer it to my 1980s Yamaha 6335 that is a pro model horn.

I'd say stick with the 45 unless you want to mail it to me.

ww2navyman wrote at 2014-01-27 17:47:07
The Holton trumpets of the 1940's would all be considered professional, even the line that was less adorned,  the Collegiate.  The #45 which was of the professional line...the Revelations, with a .459 bore, was advertised and is indeed, an all around (versatile) pro trumpet that can be played a lifetime with care and occasional shop time.  

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.