Trumpet/Used trumpet values

Crystal Smith wrote at 2013-01-04 19:43:31
I have a trumpet for sell it is only worth around $100. It is dented but i really need the money

Trumpet

Kenneth

I can answer questions regarding trumpets. I am a professional trumpet player, a former public school band director with a B.S. and M. Ed. in music education and I presently operate a brass and woodwind dealership and repair center. I prefer not to answer technical questions about trumpet playing in this forum. Please click on the View Profile link to view my "Frequently Asked Questions" before sending me a question.

I have been operating a brass and woodwind sales and repair business since 1984. I spent over 20 years as a public school band director / music teacher. I have also been a professional musician for over 30 years.

American Federation of Musicians, National Association of Band Instrument Repair Technicians

B.S. in Music Education, M. Ed. in Music Education

FAQ... WHAT IS A GOOD TRUMPET FOR A YOUNG STUDENT? It is always best to stick with a major brand, such as Bach, Besson, Bundy, Conn, Getzen, Holton, King, Olds, Yamaha, and a few others. There are some brands that may look fine and have impressive claims by the seller, but are of poor quality. Some of these poor instruments may even have a legitimate appearing "warranty." When the junk valves don't work well, they will send you replacement junk valves. Avoid trumpets of a color other than silver or gold, instruments that come with white gloves and instruments that are "band/instructor/teacher/director approved/recommended/certified." Quality instruments do not have a model year (2008, 2009...). Those things are almost always signs of a poor quality instrument which was made in some far off land. The valves will never work well, the instrument will have a poor tone, replacement parts usually are not available and repair shops often refuse to work on them. These instruments will cause nothing but frustration for the student and quite often lead to them quitting. The best use for these instruments is to make a pretty lamp out of them. It is much preferred to purchase a good quality used instrument over a cheap new one. When looking for a used instrument, the most critical consideration is how well the valves work. It is also important that all of the slides move freely. Minor dings don't matter, but major dents can possibly effect the sound. Make sure that none of the braces or joints are broken loose. Most students don't want an instrument that looks bad and embarrasses them when compared with those that other students have. This could lead to them to losing interest. With some careful and wise shopping it is possible to acquire a very good used instrument at a good price.

FAQ... HOW MUCH IS MY TRUMPET WORTH? Without actually seeing the instrument it is very difficult to place a value on it. A great deal of the value is determined by what condition the instrument is in. Values also differ greatly from region to region. Purchasing from, or selling to an individual is much different than purchasing from or selling to a dealer. Just like anything else... it's worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it. If you search completed items on eBay you can usually get a pretty good idea of the value. If you wish to sell your instrument, you may consider placing it on eBay with a relatively low starting price and no reserve price. With good pictures and a good description it will generally bid up to what it's worth. You may also consider donating it to a local school.

FAQ... WHEN WAS MY TRUMPET MADE / HOW OLD IS IT? In my opinion, with some exceptions, the age of an instrument is usually not very important. The condition of the instrument and how well it plays are what count in my book. If you really wish to know how old it is, you can usually find information with a good internet search. Example: Search for "Conn trumpet serial numbers."