Trumpet/single valve ludwig trumpet

Vince Adams wrote at 2010-05-08 01:57:53
I would add this by venturing to guess that you have an old Ludwig G-D valve slide bugle. Cylindrical in design and all large bore for projection.  If I recall, they were chrome over brass and were a repairman's nightmare. Most traditional solder failed to hold things such as water key repairs or finger rings. Also, the chrome would discolor from the necessary heat level similar to the bumper on a 66 'caddy' being restored.  We used standard band mouthpieces and saw a great many variations in use from offset throat/bore combinations to even a rectangular shaped rim. Pretty interesting overall.  I would say that if your bugle is still playable, blow a few notes for fun, then turn it into a wall piece, showcase novelty, or maybe a lamp. What you have is a relic committed to history, not quite a priceless wonder, but worth preserving.  

Good Luck, V, former D%26B, 40 years behind a horn, #and still playing on Sundays#

Bryan wrote at 2011-03-12 02:37:25
I was a bugler at San Diego Navel Training Center in the Drum and Bugle Corps.  I used a one valved bugle,in 1966. I am sure you can use any trumpet,cornet or bugle mouth piece.

I would be interested in buying your instrument.

Thank you.

BRYAN  

Greg Manochio wrote at 2011-09-04 12:12:23
This is the same bugle my Father played back in the 50s with the Archer Epler Musketeers Drum and Bugle Corps. If you still have it, are you looking to sell it?  

Boston Kim wrote at 2012-11-08 13:43:27
Turn it into a lamp?! No, please don't!

Instead, how about sending it along to Bugles Across America? There are people there who would put it back into service, playing live "Taps" for military honors! There is a shortage of both buglers and bugles.

Trumpet

Kenneth